I started this page on September 17, 2022, the day preorders went live for the LoV army starter, and officially began working on my army the day that box arrived, September 29. It’s pretty sparse for now.
Thinking out loud
At this stage, I know a few things:
- THA: I’m playing Trans-Hyperian Alliance. That orange armor is going to be a blast to paint!
- Edge highlighting: I’m going to learn how to do proper edge highlighting while working on these guys.
- Pin washes: In that vein, I’m also going to make pin washes my default for my Kin, with all-over washes reserved for bases and possibly a few elements on the model itself.
- Weathering: If ever a faction called for weathered armor, this is it — and weathering and battle damage should be a blast do do on their orange Void Suits.
- Don’t attempt to one-shot it: I broke with my usual approach for my Custodes army, working on 100% of the army at every stage. It made sense, given that spraying them gold was best done all at once, and should have saved enough time to overcome the momentum-killer that is having an entire army to paint at once. But it didn’t work: It’s been over a year since I touched a Custodes model, and I’ve never finished a single one. For my Kin, I’m going back to painting squad by squad.
I’m on the fence about trying to learn to paint non-Ork faces, but leaning against it. I have two new techniques to try, both a significant step up from my usual approach, and that’s more than enough. It’s most likely all helmets, all the time for my Kin.
Trans-Hyperian Alliance color guide
In the past I’ve written a color guide for each unit, but found that one of them serves as the main color guide and gets referenced most often. So for my Kin I’m just putting the main guide here, on their dedicated page. If specific units vary from or add to this guide, they’ll get their own posts.
As always, nothing is drybrushed unless noted.
- Primer: Vallejo White, brushed-on
- Sealant: Vallejo Matt White, brushed-on, one coat
My concept is “alien moon,” primarily grey with notes of blue to contrast with their orange Void Suits (since blue is opposite orange on the color wheel).
- Terrain: Astrogranite Debris > Drakenhof Nightshade all-over wash > Calgar Blue drybrush > light Baharroth Blue drybrush, just kissing the high points
- Crystals: Bits of sprue trimmed to blocky points, and then painted: Calgar Blue > Drakenhof Nightshade all-over wash > Baharroth Blue edge highlighting
- Rocks: Dark Reaper (note this is a layer paint) > Drakenhof Nightshade all-over wash > Russ Grey drybrush
- Skulls: Corax White > Agrax Earthshade all-over wash > Corax White drybrush
- Tufts: None! All my other bases have tufts, and “moon” doesn’t scream plants to me.
- Base rims (edges): Russ Grey
Very much TBD at this point.
- Dusty legs: Drybrush feet and legs very lightly with Russ Grey or maybe Calgar Blue, not sure which
Very much a work in progress, especially given that as of today (September 29, 2022) I own exactly one LoV kit: the army box.
- Hearthkyn Warriors, Yrsá’s Boars
- 1x Theyn, Yrsá the Unexpected, with Concussion Gauntlet and Autoch-Pattern Bolt Pistol
- 1x Warrior with Magna-Rail Rifle
- 1x Warrior with Medipack
- 7x Warriors with Autoch-Pattern Bolters