This unassuming little Valkyrie represents a lot of firsts:
- The first ‘Mech I’ve painted in 16 years
- The first ‘Mech in my Long Nights mercenary company
- My first time pin washing (instead of all-over washing)
- Also my first time attempting proper edge highlighting
- My first time trying to do a detailed pane of glass (the cockpit)
- And currently the best miniature I’ve ever painted
I started with the Valkyrie because it’s the plainest of the lance I’m currently painting, and the one I cared about least. I figured I’d goober some stuff up here before moving on to something cooler.
I’m taking a more subtle approach with my ‘Mechs than I generally do with my 40k minis, but I suspect this approach will bleed back into my general bag of tricks for painting. Patient pin washing following by equally patient edge highlighting is a really neat one-two punch.
In the Long Nights, this Valkyrie is piloted by Ragnar “Night Sweats” Thorpe, and I feel like I did him proud!